Jan 6, 2010

Steps in the night



 

Mahmoud Darwish


Translated by: Denys Johnson-Davies/The Music of Human Flesh.


Always,
            We hear at night approaching steps
And the door feels from our room,
Always,
Like departing clouds.

Your blue shadow, who draws it away
Each night from my bed?
The steps come on, and your eyes are countries,
Your arms a blockade around my body.
And the steps come on,
Why does the shadow that depicts me flee,
O Shahrzad?
And the steps come on and do not enter.
Be a tree,
That I may see your shade.
Be a moon,
That I may see your shade.
Be a dagger,
That I may see in your shade in mine,
A rose in ashes.
Always,
I hear at night approaching steps,
And you become my places of exile,
You become my prisons.
Try to kill me
Once and for all.
Do not kill me
With approaching steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment