Jan 6, 2010

And the curtain falls



 

Mahmoud Darwish


Translated by: Denys Johnson-Davies/The Music of Human Flesh.


When the applause dies down in the hall
And the shadow slants
Towards my breast
The make-up falls from the face of Galilee
And thus – I resign!

Tonight I find my self
Naked
As a massacre.
My acting was far from my father's mawwals.
My acting was strange to the birds of Galilee
And my arm was a fan
And thus – I resign.

They coached me in everything the director asked
In the way of dancing to the rhythm of his lie,
And now I am weary.
I have hung my legends on a washing-line
And thus – I resign.

In your name I now confess that the play
Was written for entertainment.
The critics were satisfied, but the eyes of Mary Magdalene
Carved into my body
The shape of Galilee
And thus – I resign.

O my blood,
Their brush makes paintings of Lydda,
And you are the ink.
Jaffa is but the skin on drums
And my bones are like the baton in the director's grasp,
Yet I say:
I shall perfect the role tomorrow, sir,
And thus – I resign.

Ladies
And gentlemen!
I have entertained you for twenty years.
Today the time has come for me to leave,
To escape from this crowd
And to sign in Galilee
To the birds that live in the nest of the impossible,
And thus – I resign
I resign
I resign . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment