Jan 6, 2010

Ashraf in the park




 
Nahida Izaat Ghaith

It was an autumn Friday morning
Children in their schools
Little Ashraf was lonely
How about
Going out
To the park?
I said
His face lit up with joy
Got ready
In no time

When we got there
He couldn’t even wait
To put on his hat
So exited
He ran out
Ever so fast

We were delighted
To see him so happy
Running... Jumping
experiencing the freedom
Of no curfew
The freedom to play
With no soldiers around

My friend Hanifa
Whispered with joy
Let him do
What ever he likes
Let him play
Let that be his day
We’ll just watch
From a distance
So, he doesn’t get hurt

Ashraf ran to the slide
Suddenly... stopping
Standing there frozen
Not  knowing what to do

Moved towards the see-saw
He didn’t do a thing
Then he was moving
From one ride to the other
Without even trying
To try anything
he didn’t know
What to do
He simply didn’t know
How to play

Tears filled out our eyes
And, we decided to go
Help him
Show him how to play

I convinced him
To try the swing
Sitting in the swing
Frozen
He begged me not to push
I am scared...
I am so scared
He kept on saying

Its ok sweetheart
Let’s try something else
That colorful rocket
Over there
Unlike the swing

It doesn’t move at all
All have to do Ashraf
Is to climb up the steps
To get to the top

Clinging on to me
He anxiously said
And then what?
What if the rocket takes off

We moved on
To the slide
Where we helped him
To climb up the few steps
All he needs to do then
Is to cross over
The wooden bridge
To reach to the other side
He couldn’t move a foot
Yet again

Hnifa, my friend
Decided to climb up
To help him crossing
To the other side
She gave her hand
Saying
Come on Ashraf
You can do it

Shaking... holding on so tight
He bravely ran towards her
She gave him a big hug
Wonderful... you’re so brave
She said

A big sigh of relief
From little Ashraf, SAYING
I made it !!
I passed the check- point






No comments:

Post a Comment