Jan 6, 2010

The Olive Tree



 

Tawfiq Zaiyyad



Because I do not knit wool,
Because I am always hunted
And my house is always raided,
Because I cannot own a piece of paper,
I shall carve my memoirs
On the home yard olive tree.
1 shall carve bitter reflections,
Scenes of love and of yearning
For my stolen orange grove
And the lost tombs of my dead.
I shall carve all my strivings
For the sake of remembrance,
For the time when I shall drown them
In the avalanche of triumph.
I shall carve the serial number
Of every stolen piece of land,
The spot of my village on the map
And the houses
And the trees
And all the wild blooms
That are blown up
Or uprooted.
I shall carve the names
Of all connoisseurs in torture,
The names of their prisons,
The trade-marks of their chains,
The archives of the jailors
And the maledictions.
I shall carve dedications,
To memories threading to eternity,
To the sanguine soil of Deir Yassin
And Kafr Kassem,
I shall carve on top of all
The intense heights of the tragedy,
The pounding and the bitter strife
Which I bear
Up the ladder of grief
To the peak.
I shall carve the sun' s reckonings
And the moon's whisperings
And what a skylark recalls
At a love-deserted well.
For the sake of remembrance,
For the sake of all
And every thing
I shall continue to carve
On the Horne yard olive tree.



No comments:

Post a Comment