Jan 6, 2010

A forehead and an anger



 

Mahmud Darwish




My homeland! O eagle that sheathes its beak of flame
In my eyes
Through the wooden bars.
All that I possess in the presence of death
Is a forehead and an anger.
I have requested in my will that my heart be planted as a tree
And my forehead as a house for the skylark.
O Eagle of whose wing I am not worthy
I prefer the crown of flame.
My homeland! We were born and we have grown in your wounds
 And have eaten acorns
That we may witness the flutter of your wing
O Eagle that heavily lingers in fetters for no reason
O legendary death that used to be loved
Your red beak is still in my eyes as a sword of flame.
I am not worthy of your wing
All that I possess in the presence of death
Is a forehead and an anger.

(Akhir al-layl Nahar,Damascus 1968.)


No comments:

Post a Comment