Jan 6, 2010

Jerusalem Anthem



 

Poet Lutfi Zaghlul

Jerusalem Anthem

 


O Jerusalem, you are the sun that lightens
the spaces of my beloved country Palestine.
You are the blossom of our glorious history.
O dear captive, I’ll never forget you, for your love
Flows in my blood and dwell, in my heart and intellect.

I swear by Al Aqsa Mosque and all other holy places
That throughout my life the torch
of my holy fighting will not cease.

But if I die during that, this holy duty
will be the obligation of my sons and grandsons.

O Jerusalem, you are the crown of my
beloved country Palestine to whom we all belong.

I swear by God that I’ll return to you
despite all pains and obstacles
and despite the fact
that the arrogant usurper rongfully took hold of you.

O Jerusalem, homesickness is kindling within
my ribs. Your love is the torch of insistence
for our home returning.

O Jerusalem, your flags of glory are still
flying in the sky of freedom-seekers.
Despite the long darkness that separates
me from you, I still hope that your tomorrow’s
free sun will soon rise, when your lovers will
meet at the courtyards of Al Aqsa Mosque
despite all barriers.

Translated by : Basheer Sharaf

No comments:

Post a Comment