Jan 10, 2010

Psalm 6

Psalm 6


 

Mahmoud Darwish


Translated by: Denys Johnson-Davies/The Music of Human Flesh.


The trees of my country make a practice of greenness,
While I practice memory.
The lost  voice in the wilderness
Turns away towards the sky, and kneels:
O clouds! Are you returning?

I am not so sad,
And yet those who do not know trees
Do not love birds.
And he knows no surprises
Who makes a habit of lying.
I am not so sad,
And yet he knows not lying
Who has not known fear.

I am not so shrunk
And yet it is the trees that are tall.
Ladies and gentlemen,
I love birds
And know trees.
I know surprises
Because I have not known lying.
I am bright as truth and the dagger
And thus I ask you:
Fire at the birds
That I may describe the trees.
Stop the Nile
That I may describe Cairo.

Stop Tigris of Euphrates or both
That I may describe Baghdad.
Stop Barada
That I may describe Damascus.
And stop me from talking
That I may describe myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment