Jan 10, 2010

Psalm 15


Psalm 15


 

Mahmoud Darwish


Translated by: Denys Johnson-Davies/The Music of Human Flesh.


A fugitive from the frontiers that preyed upon my friends
And the frontiers race behind me.
The frontiers come nearer and nearer
And touch my throat.

It is difficult for you to know
Where the legend ends
And where my face begins
Because the frontiers are so near.
These furrows carved into my forehead
Are not the fingerprints of years.
These blue lines under my eyes
Are not evidence of nights with women –
They are the frontiers that ramify throughout my body.

I am condemned to defeat
And my enemy is condemned to victory.
I am steadfast in defeat
And my enemy is steadfast in victory.

O darkness coming upon the city,
Pour down, pour down,
For tonight I am resolved to depart from my frontier-ridden face
Into the direction of my heart,
The only city that has not fallen into captivity.


1 comment: