Jan 10, 2010

Psalm 11


Psalm 11


 

Mahmoud Darwish


Translated by: Denys Johnson-Davies/The Music of Human Flesh.


Nothing remains for me
But to be a vagrant in your shadow that is my shadow
Nothing remains for me
But to inhabit your voice that is my voice.

I rolled down off the cross spread out like a cloudless sky
In an endless horizon,
To the smallest mountain reached by vision
And I did not come upon my wound . . . and my freedom.
Because I do not know your whereabouts
I do not find my pace
And because my back is not supported against you with nails
I have become exceedingly bowed
Like your sky that keeps company with windows of aeroplanes.

Give me back the features of my name
That I may make appeal to the fibres of trees.
Give me back the letters of my face
That I may make an arbiter of the coming storms.
Give me back the reasons for my joy
That I may make an arbiter of withdrawal that has no reason.
Because my voice is dry as a flagpole,
My hand empty as the national anthem
And because my shadow is vast as a festival
And the lineaments of my face go for a ride in an ambulance
Because I am like that,
Being a citizen in an unborn kingdom. 




No comments:

Post a Comment