Jan 10, 2010

Promises from the storm

Promises from the storm


 

Mohmud Darwish


So let it be.
I have to refuse death,
To burn the tears of the bleeding songs,
To denude the olive trees
Of all fake branches.
If I am singing to joy
Beyond the eyelids of frightened eyes
That is because the Storm
Promised me wine,
New toasts
And rainbows;
And because the storm
Swept away the song of stupid birds
And artificial branches

From the trunks of standing trees.
So let it be.
I have to be broud
Of you wound of the sity,
O tableau of lightning
In our sad nights.
The street frowns at my face
But you protect me from the shadow and grudging looks.
I shall sing to joy
Beyond the eyelids of frightened eyes,
Since the storm has blown in my homeland
And promised me wine and rainbows.

(Akhir al-layl Nahar,Damascus 1968.) 



No comments:

Post a Comment